Fountaindale Public Library District
Public Participation at Board of Trustees Meetings
Rules for Public Comments
The meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Fountaindale Public Library District are open to members of the public. Members of the public have a right to speak at all meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Fountaindale Public Library District. At each regular and special open meeting, members of the public may address the Board subject to reasonable constraints.
- Members of the public may address the Board only at the appropriate times as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
- All members of the public shall address their comments to the Board President. The Board President may request that the appropriate member of the Board or Staff respond to the comment at the appropriate time.
- Comments by members of the public are limited to three minutes. Each member of the public may only speak once. A member of the public may not cede time to another member of the public.
- Individuals are expected to identify themselves by full name.
- The Board President shall preserve order and decorum. The Board President shall decide all questions of order.
- When addressing the Board, members of the public shall avoid personal remarks, the impugning of motives, and merely contentious statements. If any member of the public indulges in such remarks or otherwise engages in conduct injurious to the harmony of the Board and the meeting, the Board President may immediately terminate the opportunity to speak. This decision is at the discretion of the Board President or upon affirmative vote of two-third (2/3rds) of the Board present. Any person, except a member of the Board, who engages in disorderly conduct during a meeting, may be ejected from the meeting upon motion passed by a majority of the Board present.
- Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
- Individuals may record the open portion of meetings. Recording shall not interfere with the overall decorum and proceedings of the meeting and shall not interfere with the rights of other individuals.
- Individuals addressing the Board shall adhere to all District policies.
- The President shall have the authority to determine reasonable procedures regarding public participation not otherwise defined in Board policy.
APPROVED DECEMBER 21, 2017